Thursday, March 10, 2016

Whose Praise Do You Seek? - A Lenten Minute for Mar. 10

"How can you believe, when you accept praise from one another and do not seek the praise that comes from the only God?" - John 5:44

How can you tell when God praises you?  Do you believe that your success depends on God?  Whether we want to admit it or not, all too often we seek the praise of others, whether that be our bosses, our friends, or even our families, and we allow it to control our actions even when we know that our actions are contrary to God's will and purpose for us.  And for believers who honestly strive to do the will of God, it can be difficult to tell if we are really succeeding in following His will over our own.  But Thomas Merton gives us in his prayer "The Road Ahead" from Thoughts in Solitude a guide that can help us:

     “My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.” 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. You do not have to agree with the post, but be constructive in your comments. Insulting, antagonistic or inappropriate comments or vulgar language will not be allowed, nor comments unrelated to the post.