Thursday, November 28, 2019

Are You The One?

Are You The One?
November 28, 2019     Thanksgiving
by Dcn. Bob Bonomi   

In the Gospel passage often used for Thanksgiving, Jesus asks, “Ten were cleansed, were they not?  Where are the other nine? Has none but this foreigner returned to give thanks to God?”

How often when things go wrong in our lives we are quick to blame God, and yet when something goes our way or we receive a special grace we tend to ignore its source?  It's like the person who is late for a meeting and prays, "Dear God, help me find a parking place" when suddenly a car pulls out of a spot right in front of the door and the person says, "Nevermind, God, I've got one now." 

It may not seem like it at times, but our mere existence is a gift from God. And even in our trials and tribulations, if we look close enough we can see gifts from God in the form of those who love us, the beauty of a world revealed to us, the peace of mind which is shared with us.

And so, this Thanksgiving, this is my prayer:

"Thank you, God, for Your many blessings, great and small, that I have received from You throughout the year - even for the trials which have tested me and drawn me closer to You.  Thank you for the family and friends, co-workers and business associates, prayer partners and even strangers who have journeyed beside me.  May I continue to be blessed by You through those You place in my life, and even in the smallest consolations may I always remember to give You thanks every day of my life.  Amen."

Let me be the one who returns to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. You do not have to agree with the post, but be constructive in your comments. Insulting, antagonistic or inappropriate comments or vulgar language will not be allowed, nor comments unrelated to the post.